Requirements for parentally-placed private school children and home-schooled children with disabilities

Each public school agency shall ensure that a services plan is developed and implemented for each parentally-placed private school child/home-schooled child with a disability who has been designated by the local school district in which the private school or home school is located to receive special education and/or related services.

Each local school district must spend a proportionate share of funds on students who have a disability. This amount fluctuates yearly based on the amount of federal/state funds which the local district receives. Information on the amount of proportionate share funds which the Park Hill School District provides through services can be provided upon request by the Director of Special Services Dr. Christopher Daniels.

An appointment with the director may be scheduled upon request by calling (816) 359-6014. Annually, a Parent Informational Meeting with be held on the first Wednesday evening in August from 4-5:30 p.m. at the district office, located at 7703 NW Barry Road, Kansas City, MO, 64153. The Park Hill School District will meet with each individual private/parochial schools and consult with representatives from those institutions. During both the parent information meeting and the scheduled meetings with each individual private/parochial school, topics to be discussed will include (but not be limited to the following):
  • Child find process
  • Determination of proportionate share funding
  • Consultation with parents and representatives about the services available and how the process will operate during the school year.
  • Discussion of personnel who will be providing services, where the services will be provided, and types of services which will be apportioned if funds are insufficient to serve all parentally-placed and/or home-schooled students.
  • Individual rights of parentally-placed and home-schooled students
  • Differences in the amount of services provided to parentally-placed or home-schooled students
  • Service plan vs. Individualized Education Plan (IEP)
  • Complaint procedures for parentally-placed private school students or home-schooled students